Debit Card Fraud Prevention
Debit card fraud has increased dramatically in the last few months. As banks and merchants prepare to switch to the more secure chip on card solutions, fraudsters have stepped up their activity. To help protect your account and prevent fraud, Phenix-Girard Bank may restrict debit card use by placing a block on certain merchant types, cities, states or countries. Currently debit card transactions are restricted to PIN based transactions in all areas except for Alabama, Georgia and Florida.
If a signature-based debit card transaction does not go through at a merchant location, try is as a PIN based transaction.
If you are planning a trip outside of the local area, please contact use right away. If you do not contact us, transactions outside of the area may be denied.
WE MAY CALL YOU
Phenix-Girard Bank has implemented a program to help monitor, identify and aid in preventing debit card fraud. This program will arm the Bank with a powerful tool that can be used to detect existing, new and emerging domestic and international fraud schemes. It is our priority to help protect our customers from losses due to debit card fraud and identity theft.
We utilize a software solution, which uses a hybrid intelligence system employing neural network technology and cardholder profiling to identify fraud patterns as they occur. High risk transactions are identified by a fraud analyst, who then takes appropriate action by contacting the cardholder to verify the legitimacy of the transactions.
If they are able to reach you, the Analyst will verify the transaction.
- If the transaction is a legitimate transaction the Analyst removes any blocks that have been placed on your card.
- If the transaction is a fraudulent transaction(s) the Analyst then blocks your card and will send an email to the Phenix-Girard Bank with updates to the incident report. Once confirmed, Phenix-Girard Bank will contact you to initiate the dispute.
If unable to contact you, the Analyst will:
- Try alternate phone numbers we have in your customer records.
- They will leave a message including a phone number for you to return the call.
- They will place a temporary block on your card until they can reach you.
And lastly, they will send an Incident Detail Report to Phenix-Girard Bank.
Fraud analysts may contact customers, with suspicious activity, seven days a week between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
IMPORTANCE OF UPDATING YOUR CUSTOMER INFORMATION
Contact phone numbers are a vital part of fraud prevention. Please make sure your phone numbers and email address is update. Call 334.298.0691 or email NetTeller@Phenix-Girard.com to update your information.
We value you as a customer and are implementing this service to do our part in protecting you from debit card fraud and identity theft. Please feel free to contact your local branch if you have any questions.
In the meantime, please be diligent in monitoring transaction activity on your account and contact us immediately if you identify any fraudulent transactions. Here are some additional tips on protecting yourself from debit card fraud.
- Unless absolutely required for a legitimate business purpose, avoid giving out your:
- Social Security number
- Date of Birth
- Address and ZIP code
- Phone number
- Card or account number
- Card expiration date
Your PIN is private; NEVER give it out!
- In stores and at ATMs, always cover your card and PIN, and watch for;
- Cell phone cameras, mirrors, or other tools used to view cards and PINs
- People watching your transactions
- Cashiers taking your card out of sight; take it to the register yourself
- Any unusual activity at ATMs; if you feel uncomfortable, go to another ATM
- Online, you should never respond to unsolicited emails that
- Ask you to verify your card or account number; such emails are not sent by legitimate businesses
- Link to websites; such sites can look legitimate but may collect data or put spyware on your computer
As always if you have any questions feel free to contact a New Accounts Representative at 334-298-0691.
View and track your Debit Card activity with Online Banking. Set up e-mail or text alerts (messaging rates and/or data usage may apply) to let you know about changes in your balance or when a large purchase has been made. We also provide 24-hour phone access at 334-297-1689.